Thursday, June 3, 2010

Winter?

Well, right now as I write this, I'm sitting out on the front porch and it's so cold! I don't think any of us will be making fun of Webster for carrying around his bucket of hot coals anymore!

Today was a really great day! Yesterday, we found out that Sidney, a little twin in our feeding group who lives in the medically fragile dorm, has pneumonia and she had an asthma attack. It scared us all yesterday and she was immediately rushed down to the clinic. Today we found that she is doing much better but she just rested most of the day. We are so thankful that she's doing better, but she still needs your prayers! This morning in language class, we tried a few new strategies and they ended up working wonderfully! We set up the little chairs at the end of the porch so there was less distraction. Then we called them individually, "Weston, it's time to go to language class!" and when they heard their name, they were allowed to walk over and take their seat. They LOVED it! It made each one of them feel important. Jaime and I also found a new song to sing with our animals so that was good for the kids and all of us! Beauty and Cleatus, some of the aunties, also got involved and sang a few songs to help us out. That was great! That's what we want! We are hoping to get the aunties at each Haven to get involved with what we're doing so they can keep it up after we leave. So far, they are pretty hesitant, so any time they watch or help we are so pleased! Our language group at Haven 1 this morning went great, too! One set of twins, Bester and Elias, "talked" the entire time! Mostly just "da da da" over and over, but at one point Bester had perfect inflection to answer my question even though all she really said was "da da". We were so excited to see so much talking and gestures from the little ones. We have a few who are still feverish and cranky, but overall it was great. This afternoon we headed back to Haven 1 to do our individual language classes. I was in the girls room with Nita, Donna, Lisa, Teagan, and Kritz (who isn't a girl, but is in that room). Nita was such a little stinker! But she was doing a great deal of talking so it was hard to get too frustrated with her. At one point, they all sat quietly in a bed and I read "I Am Special" by Max Lucado to them. The entire book! That's saying a LOT! When we moved to Haven 3, the kids were a little more riled up but we got through our lesson with only a few behavioral problems. It's pretty difficult to get 15 toddlers to sit still and listen for an hour! Overall, I thought it was a pretty great day. And tomorrow is Friday. We aren't doing anything on Saturday and we are all so excited about having a day of rest. Hope everyone else is enjoying their summer! -Rachel

7 comments:

  1. Be glad it's cool there. It is officially summer here, with a heat index of 101 the other day! So we're all sweating hot. Sorry you have a sick baby there hope she feels better soon. Why do the aunties not participate or try to learn? Do they not have enough time or do they not find it important?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely be praying for Sidney. I'm so glad your language classes are going so well that is wonderful to hear. I bet the singing was a blast and it's good that some of the aunties are getting involved. Do you know why some are hesitating to participate with you guys? My summer is going great and I am getting married in 2 days so even better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The story about Sidney breaks my heart. I know it is so hard to see these kids who are so sick. I'll be praying that these kids continue to get better. I am glad that you have been able to get the aunties more involved because these techniques definitely need to be carried over. Do you use some Zambian phrases during therapy or just English? What kinds of behavior problems do you usually have with the kids? And is it different from American children? Happy belated b-day Rachel! Hope it was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about little Sidney!! I glad she is doing better. She will be in my prayers. I hope all the aunties continue to participate, because the children will need the carry over. What kind od cues to you use during therapy? Do you use gestures for more, go, finished? What is the primary language used during therapy sessions? Keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww poor Sidney! I'm so glad that they got that taken care, I'll start praying for her! That's great about the aunties helping yall out! Do the kids seem to like doing therapy with yall? Is is it frustrating to any of them that they have to sit still and listen? So excited to see progress, I know you girls feel accomplished ehat you're making a huge difference in their little lives!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I will definalty keep Sidney in my thoughts and prayers. Being around these babies gives you all insight that the rest of use will hopefully gain through our own experiences in the future. I know you all are doing a good job and don't worry...the aunties will come around soon enough to the new things you all are doing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad Sidney is better! I'm happy to hear that these little ones are learning to sit longer for stories. It's so important for development. I'm glad you all get a day of rest on Saturday! It sounds like you have been very busy!

    ReplyDelete