Saturday, May 29, 2010

What an Experience!

I have now had the opportunity to meet the boy that I will be working with at the orphanage. His name is Gwembee and he is 22 years of age and has been diagnosed with MR. My CAPSTONE project was originally going to be on Augmentative Alternative Communication for non-verbal children. However, since Gwembee is higher functioning than we originally thought I am now going to be doing a case study on children in Africa who are primarily non-verbal. I am learning a lot from Gwembee. The first time I worked with him I did a lot of getting him to imitate actions, then had Gwembee do some oral motor movements. Now Gwembee is to the point where he is able to identify objects when given a field of three objects. He is also able to imitate words and sometimes says them spontaneously. I think for this first week I will be working with Gwembee on vocabulary. I am honored to have the privilege to work with Gwembee. He has taught me a lot about children with special needs in Africa. I am sure there will be much more to learn.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome!! I'm excited that you are having a great experience in Africa. I can't wait to hear more about your experiences with Gwembee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with Lisa that sounds awesome! I hope you keep us updated on Gwembee it sounds like your project will turn out nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This should be useful information to learn and can carry it with you. Sounds like it should be an interesting project also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! What an experience! I can't wait to see how this research turns out! Are there a lot of non-verbal children in Africa?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so excited to hear about your research with Gwembee. How did he communicate with others before you met him? It's also amazing that he has learned a lot over the short period of time you have worked with him. What will be your main goal with him while there?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a good opportunity for you! I really enjoy working with nonverbal children. Have you seen any other non-verbal children there?

    ReplyDelete