Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Day 2 at the Haven

Today at the Haven we continued to establish rapport with the children and the aunties. We heard a lot more talking from the children today and we are beginning to learn the routines of each Haven. I must say, the aunties do an amazing job taking care of the babies and I don’t know how they have the energy every day. For us, we are already exhausted by lunch time! However, tomorrow we are getting a little break because after lunch we are going to Livingstone to see the Moon bow. You can only see this phenomenon in a few places in the world and we just happen to be 2 hours from one of these places! Come Thursday, though, we will be back to work at the Haven in hopes of improving the infants and toddlers language, as well as, improving any swallowing or feeding difficulties in certain infants. Overall, we are really enjoying our time at the Haven and learning to adjust to the way of life here in Zambia.

Kaylee

7 comments:

  1. Good! I'm so glad you guys are starting to get into a routine and the kids are starting to talk more. I know they love having you there to help out! What in the world is a Moon bow? I will definitely be looking for a blog about this! Keep updating us--miss you girls!! = )

    ReplyDelete
  2. They can do it because they do it everyday, hope yall get used to it and it gets easier. Bet this is better exercise than that video yall have been using! How many Havens are there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those Aunties like Katie said definitely have more experience, but I know each of you will be/are so good at keeping up with these kids. What are some swallowing and feeding difficulties you have seen so far? I wanted to compare them to what I have seen with my patients I have seen at the hospital. Even though there are generations between them from the kids. I can't wait to see pictures of the moon bow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is the Moon bow? Can't wait to learn about it and see some pictures. I know in a few days ya'll will have more energy and the day will get easier for everyone!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Routines can make things so much easier. Okay so what is the moon bow? and after you see it you'll have to tell us how it was! We miss you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The moonbow is when the light from the full moon reflects off the mist at victoria Falls and it cast a rainbow. And yes these Aunties are amazing at what they do. They have this baby thing down pat! No doubt. Bathtime and feeding is definitely a sight to see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can only imagine how much energy it takes to take care of all those little ones. I wish I could see the Moonbow!

    ReplyDelete